You know, we didn't put "lore" in this wiki's name because we'd prefer to think we're historians documenting some epic, fantastical saga for the posterity of mankind. Because we aren't. I mean, that's a given. If any of us were sophisticated enough to be proper historians, we'd have better things to do. (And besides, TF2Tags Wiki was already taken.)
The overriding reason
(other than narcissism) is because the site does in fact have a rich lore from all the big events and changes that have happened in the years it's been active. Users have come and gone, memes have lived and died, and all of them are commonly referenced and have a major influence on the site's attitudes and vernacular.
Hey, we're no Ancient Greece as far as interesting origin stories go, but it's always nice to know about all the shitstorms leading up to the present day. Adding to that, much of what the site likes or dislikes is based upon this history, so reading up on past events goes hand-in-hand with knowing what tags to submit. So, really, it's required reading. It's just like Modern History class!
The one key difference, of course, is that studying Modern History gets you into university. But does it give you Crits? Didn't think so. Does having a master's degree in World History get you your own wiki page? Well, we already know the answer.
- Aug 16, 2015: The Mobile-Friendly Update - Made phone browsing less shit, and everything else more shit. Nowadays, however, it's usually remembered for...
- Aug 16, 2015: Bring Back Misses - A reminder that forcing happiness on people never works.
- Aug 21, 2015: The Banning Of AFI - Another page yet to be made.
- Oct 13, 2015: The Jessestorm - Sometimes, Jesse has a reason to be pissed off.
- Nov 12, 2015: The Taggening - When the Submission Limits decided they'd had enough, and all hell broke loose.
- Jan 28, 2016: The Colorless Times - For once, people weren't complaining about the lack of new effects.
- Feb 19, 2016: The Attack of the Clones - Numerous fake accounts bombarded the site with shitposts.
- Feb 20, 2016: End of the Golden Age - The second banning of AFI and Dos threatening to shut down the site effectively started the Second Age of TF2Tags.
- Mar 01, 2016: The Edge Incident - The first notable event of the Second Age involving backlash against user Meta Breakers after "leaving".
- Mar 10, 2016: The Returned Colors - Dr. Dos blesses the taggers anew.
- August 5th, 2016: Minisentry Incident - Dr. Dos replaces the entire site with the word "Minisentry". Considering what Dos said in the End of the Golden Age, everybody assumes Dos shut the site down. However, this turns out to be just an accident and a great festival begins the non-death of tf2tags.
- September 11th, 2016: The End of an Era - Jesse is banned once and for all for carpetbombing the site for a full week.
- October 19th, 2016: The Attack of the Clones II: The Buttrapening - Instead of people making fake accounts of famous taggers, one person named "TrumpButtRape" made a total of 4 or 5 accounts, solely to shitpost on the site. It eventually ended with Dr. Dos stepping in himself.
- December 23rd, 2016: The Sappening of 2016 - After DudeTheNinja posted this tag, Steam servers were down for over three hours.
- December 25th, 2016: Makin' Bacon's Announcement - Makin' Bacon announced that he had a New Years' surprise, but it would be delayed by one day for every three posts that were links, parts of trends, or reposts. It was canceled one day later, after nobody gave half a shit. The most notable aftereffect of the announcement period was the attack on HogPilot by vullture_prime and Makin' Bacon, while the rest of the taggers backed up HogPilot.
- December 27th, 2016: The Wahfather's Ascension - Many members of the Wahfia (and quite a few more) joined together to mass critbomb Walumancer until he ascended into the glorious Hale's Own Club.
- January 20th, 2017: The Greatening of 2017 - This was an event started by this tag, and this one. The result was at least ten pages of spam.
- September 17, 2017: The Greatest Event in History - Started by Polareon critbombing himself. Ended with a discord party, a massive missbomb, and the community actually being a community for once.
- January 16, 2018: The End (?)- The site goes down for a number of users. The end is nigh.
- January 18, 2018: False Alarm- The site is restored after the longest two days in the history of mankind. Turns out Dos accidentally renewed the site on an expired credit card.
- Januray 30, 2018: FAREWELL- Dos reveals that on January 16th, 2019, the site will shut down for good. "tf2tags was fun for a little bit. Please do not contact me for help. I wish you all the best of luck in continuing the community you made."
- July 21st, 2018: Purple Raid - Walumancer rallies the Wahfia into raiding the site for a few hours, giving TF2Tags more life than it had seen in months.
- October 15th, 2018: Raid of Age - Walumancer once again rallies the Wahfia into raiding the site, having similar results to the Purple Raid.
- January 8th, 2019: The Final Week - A final, collaborative series following Taggers in their final week before they are nuked.
- January 13th, 2019: Final Raid - Walumancer leads the Wahfia one final time into the most shitposty raid yet.
- January 16, 2019: The Tagpocalypse - It will be the end of time itself.
- The second Attack of the Clones happened on the 8 month anniversary of the first Attack of the Clones.
- Also much like the first Attack of the Clones, virtually everyone one site that wasn't shitposting made jokes about the fake accounts.
All items (15)